Every business is now a more or less a digital business. We rely on always-on access to data at every minute of every day.
Even a short period of downtime can wreak havoc on our bottom line and cause some serious headaches for our IT team. This is why consistent levels of infrastructure availability has become critically important – with many businesses who suffer significant data loss and downtime eventually failing to recover in the long-term
Data protection has always been one of IT’s core services, but it’s become increasingly difficult to deliver in recent years. The sheer volume and complexity of data we store has outgrown the backup and recovery solutions we previously relied on.
Despite our best efforts, there will inevitably come a day when every business needs to recover data lost from production. These data losses can happen for a variety of reasons including:
- Human error — As we’ve proven since time immemorial, people will always make mistakes. We accidentally delete files and even IT professionals will accidently delete virtual machines. It can often be as simple pulling the wrong disk from a storage system or unplugging the wrong server’s power cord.
- Hardware failure — Even the machines we rely on aren’t always as reliable as we’d like. For example, the most expensive servers and storage systems rely on cooling systems that could fail for any number of reasons, rendering the servers themselves inoperable
- Disasters – Disasters come in all shapes and forms and they can strike any business. Whether a local fire, cyclone, terrorist attack or semi-trailer crash, disasters will always strike when we least expect them.
Real disaster recovery requires a solution that would have everything hardware, software, and data up and running when a disaster strikes. Disaster recovery plans need to include, at a bare minimum:
- Alternate physical locations
- Secondary data centers
- Ongoing replication
- Post-disaster recovery processes
Thankfully, there are now some hyperconverged infrastructure solutions that are uniquely positioned to solve, once and for all, the challenges across the entire data protection spectrum. HPE SimpliVity, powered by Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors, is an enterprise-grade hyperconverged platform that streamlines IT operations and disaster recovery with unprecedented efficiency, performance, resiliency, and intelligence.
SimpliVity alone makes it simple for organisations to streamline disaster recovery processes, by first making sure that virtual machines are always available, even if a data center is lost. Hewlett Packard Enterprise has also made a focus to provide integration into other tools that can help automate and orchestrate all of the remaining steps of the disaster recovery process.
HPE SimpliVity, powered by Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors, can help you create scalable and secure environments for your most unpredictable and business-critical workloads. Get in touch with us today to discover a smart solution that delivers next-generation disaster recovery capability while significantly reducing infrastructure complexity.
Intel, the Intel logo, Xeon, and Xeon Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and/or other countries.